Thursday, January 28, 2010

New laptop with Win 7

Finally, I got a new laptop with infamous Win7 installed. Two surprises.
1, Dell's laptop is quite stylish, not to compare with my Thinkpad, but with HP's or even Sony's. Although I don't like its keyboard layout and the function key setting, I do appreciate to have less buttons around; it's neat.
2. Win7 doesn't let me down. However, now the OS is 64-bit; heaps of the old software expire. But I found that most of the useful ones stay free. And Win7 do have a bunch of useful gadgets (see tricks and tips below) that save the day.

Win7 tricks and tips:

Software (free):
  • Security: AVG Anti-Virus personal
  • PDF: Foxit Reader (I don't like Acrobat), CutePDF writer
  • Entertainment: iTune (for iphone and ipod), KMPlayer, PPlive
  • Browser: Chrome 4 (with extensions!)
  • Utilities: WinRAR, GlaryUtilities, Smart Defrag, Notepad++, Google Pinyin
Software (licensed): MS Office 2007, Visual Studio Pro 2008.

No comments:

Post a Comment