Saturday, January 30, 2010

Aussie slang

Have been in Australia for almost one year. To celebrate, let's catch some Aussie slang.

The first one I learned is "No worries". It is a pretty good one, positive, relaxing, and multi-functional. It can mean "Welcome", "That's fine", "Not at all", "Never mind", etc. Once when a student asked me about his exam result, I replied "No worries".

As for greeting, "G'day" is often used. Actually, it sounds quite funny when it comes with a strong Aussie accent.

Just like "Dude" in US, Aussie has "Mate". So, thank you mate; sorry mate; g'day mate; ... 


Just as I am writing this blog, I heard my neighbor said "At the end of the day, ..." It seems to be quite popular to use this phrase at the work place. But, I really don't like hearing it, 'cause it is really overused and sounds over-confident. We should use "eventually" more. 

At then end of the day, life is much easier with these slangs.

No comments:

Post a Comment